Homemade French Onion Soup
Want to impress your dinner guests, friends or even a random character? Make this an hour or so before your guest(s) arrive, then add the toast and cheese and broil - and manga!
Approximate time from start to finish- 1 hour, 10 min
- 6-8 vidalia onions (i used 8- I love onions!)
- 1/4 teaspoon of sugar
- olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 containers of beef broth (I don't like canned broth, seems like it has a metallic taste- also, I like to use the lower-sodium beef broth)
- 1/2 cup of dry white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon of dry thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 8 slices of toasted French bread
- 1 1/2 cups of grated Swiss Gruyere with a little grated Parmesan cheese (or provolone is good too- but Gruyere puts it over the top!)
* When onions are caramelized, add garlic and saute for 1 minute.
Your onions should look like this:
* Add the stock, wine, bay leaf, and thyme. Cover partially and simmer until the flavors are well blended, about 30 minutes. Now add a little salt and pepper and discard the bay leaf .
* To serve you can either use individual oven-proof soup bowls or one large casserole dish. Ladle the soup into the bowls or casserole dish. Cover with the toast and sprinkle with cheese. Put into the broiler for 10 minutes at 350 degrees F, or until the cheese bubbles and is slightly browned. Serve immediately with more wine!