* 3 c. mini marshmallows
* 3 TBSP unsalted butter
* 1/2 tsp vanilla
* 4 c. dry chow mein noodles
* small candies, jelly beans, m & m's, etc. (i like to use colored "eggs" that look like robins eggs)
* shortening for hands (optional but better than butter- keeps mix from sticking to your hands!)
1) Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
2) Over low heat, melt the marshmallows and butter in a large saucepan.
3) Once melted, stir in the vanilla, then the chow mein noodles.
4) Coat your hands with shortening, (butter doesn't work as well) and have some nearby for re-coating.
5) Grab a clump of noodles smaller than a tennis ball and larger than a golf ball. Form into a ball while pressed your thumbs into the middle, forming a nest and place in greased muffin tin, then refrigerate.
6) After a few hours, remove them from pan and place on parchment paper for final drying
7) Allow the nests to cool, then fill with with the candy of your choice....
7) Sometimes, she even added a mama bird to watch over her nest (see- those peeps DO have a use!)
In memory of Claire Dominick.....