Sunday, April 29, 2012

Things That Drive Me Nuts (AKA Nice Girls Can Go Postal Too)

People that constantly complain…

You know what? A lot of people these days are overworked, underpaid, tired- too many things to list. The only person that can change your life is yourself… and people are tired of you bitching.    Complaining endlessly also makes you sound like an ungrateful moron.  You have your health, people who love you despite yourself- think about that.   Do something positive to change your life… go to the gym, send out some resumes, end your miserable relationship- whatever it takes. Life is too short to settle.

Bad drivers…

Ok, I’m born and raised in Boston- need I say more?! My grandfather was a Boston cop- in the rough section… for 30 yrs. And HE taught me how to drive. Well, I DID take some half-assed ghetto driving class which saved my parents more money on my insurance than the class cost… but my grandfather was the man who has definitely saved my life more than once with the defensive tips he taught me. In Hawaii, people actually stop and allow others to pass on one lane bridges- talk about island courtesy. People live life slower, people are nicer and after a few days there, I find I hate rushing about too. Of course, it’s all good when you’re in Kauia – but when I get back to Boston, I have no choice but to quickly readjust. Those people that cut you off, only to drive like a stoned snail make me absolutely insane. Yes, I admit, I DO drive a bit fast and yes, maybe even aggressive- but don’t pull in front of me, slam on your brakes and throw on your right turn signal. My middle finger can’t help but go up- it has a mind of it’s own.


People that ask me "Now, why do you have a blog"?

You know, I’m a big fan of Facebook and other random internet ridiculousness that isn’t necessary for life- but whatever happened to the written word? Ok, this blog, may be internet based but it’s still ME- saying what I feel. Don’t people like to write anymore? And this whole Kindle thing…. I just can’t go there (shudder).   I’m sorry, I know it has the internet and everything but I want a REAL book in my hands at the beach. I want to greeeeze up that page with my suntan oil as I turn it. There’s something so soothing, even productive about turning the pages. I’m that chick who packs 6 books in her bag, buys 4 magazines on the way to hawaii and can’t see myself any other way. If there’s a little help yourself "library" in the laundry room of the resort, I always like to leave something for another beach addict to enjoy. "Why do I have a blog you ask?" Because it’s a more productive way to spend my time than wasting it on the Kardashians or the morons on Jersey Shore


People that Tell Me "Ohhhh, you’ll change your mind about wanting kids when you meet the right guy!"

Ok- so at 41, I still don’t know myself and what makes me happy?!" ironically enough, the same people who utter that phrase ask about my weekend exploits and their eyes seem to glaze over with envy when I mention late nite rides on a harley, long lazy days at the beach and no one to answer to but myself. If you are a parent, or want to be a parent, good for you. But a comment like that is completely condescending and close minded. I like my friends and relatives kids just fine but could never raise them full time. Even when I was a kid, I tended to hang out with the elders in the group- I didn’t even like kids when I was a kid. I love my life and don’t want to spend the next 18 years of my life with no privacy, less money than I have now (if possible) and my 2 cats are enough responsibility for me. At parties, other women my age are talking about their kids and when they hear I don’t have any and I’m single, they tend to migrate towards the new mom and break out the baby pictures. I’m thinking of putting a picture of Gino in my wallet and show them my one year old "son" the next time someone asks me about my kids. As Chelsea Handler once said, "I would rather sit next to a transgender person and discuss why every one I’ve met smells like a bar in the daytime than listen to people tell me why I want to have childen and just don’t know it yet. I DO know, because I’m me and the feelings are the ones in my head." Everyone’s different ladies, don’t try to convince me to come over to "your side". Children are a TON of work and I give big props to those who have them – but better you than me.






No comments:

Post a Comment